SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH COMMITTEE
The Search Committee Report to the
Ipswich School Committee
April 4, 2013
Ipswich began the process of finding a new Superintendent of Schools in December 2012 with the hiring of Future Management Systems to support the critical search process. Advertising nationally, using dozens of websites for exposure and strong recruiting produced an impressive pool of thirty-one qualified candidates. The School Committee appointed an eleven person Search Committee with the charge of finding no fewer than three and no more than four exceptional educational leaders from this pool for to be brought forward as finalists. The Search Committee membership was balanced with educators, administrators and parents, all of whom shared a considerable passion for education and a strong commitment to the Ipswich community. They did an outstanding job, investing time and contributing their invaluable knowledge and insights to help complete this important process. Sarah and I are very proud to have chaired this committee. Please allow me to introduce the members of the Superintendent Search Committee, some of whom are here tonight:
- Jeremy Hathaway
- Peter O’Connor
- Sarah Player (Co-Chair)
- David Dalton - Ipswich High School Principal
- David Fabrizio - Ipswich Middle School Principal
- Meg Smith – Winthrop School Teacher
- Andrea Welch – Doyon School Teacher
- Colleen Werner – Ipswich High School Teacher
- Dorothy Johnson
- Larry Seidler
In January and February of this year, the Search Committee reviewed detailed information from all thirty-one applicants, completed extensive internet background checks on each, and chose nine highly qualified candidates for screening interviews. We are pleased to complete our charge by presenting the three candidates from this applicant pool to the School Committee this evening for further consideration. We consider this group to be exceptional in every aspect of educational leadership and believe that they align with the leadership needs of the district as represented in our Leadership Profile. They are presented in alphabetical order:
- Ann Bradshaw, with 16 years' experience as a Central Office Administrator and 8 years as a Superintendent, has demonstrated excellent leadership and management skills. She is currently the Superintendent of Schools in Mashpee, Massachusetts and has been the Director of Curriculum and Assistant Superintendent in Falmouth MA for 9 years. She was also a teacher for 8 years in the Falmouth, MA School District. Both Falmouth and Mashpee have seen significant improvement in student achievement during her respective tenures. Her current district of Mashpee, Massachusetts has been awarded and honored many times for their Advanced Placement courses. Financial management of the District’s budget has also been a high priority for Ms. Bradshaw and to this end a budget report is released every month for the School Committee and community to review. Ms. Bradshaw focuses on community involvement and being visible and available to the community at large. She has built strong community support for the district. Ms. Bradshaw has her M.Ed. from Bridgewater State University and has earned a C.A.G.S from Fitchburg State College.
April 9, 2013 In-District Visit Schedule
- Dr. William Hart has been the Assistant Superintendent in Pentucket Regional School District since 2005, has been a High School Principal in Leominster, MA, and RSU13 in Maine for a combined total of 13 years, and a teacher at Andover High School for seven years. Dr. Hart's twenty-one years of administrative experience and many awards for outstanding performance, including 'Teacher of the Year,' demonstrates a skill set, dedication, and determination all geared towards increasing student achievement. As Assistant Superintendent, he has focused on teaching and the learning process, as well as developing professional learning communities committed to student improvement. Dr. Hart earned his Ed.D. in School Administration from Nova Southeastern University. He has been published in educational journals and has given many presentations at educational conferences, including ASCD Annual Conference and the Coalition of Essential Schools Fall Conference.
April 10, 2013 In-District Visit Schedule
- Susan Viccaro is currently completing her ninth year as the Superintendent of Schools in Regional School District 13, serving the towns of Durham and Middlefield, Connecticut. In RSD 13, she oversees six district schools with 300 staff and a budget in excess of thirty four million dollars. Prior to becoming the Superintendent, Susan was the Director of Student Services, worked as a Special Education coordinator, and as a special needs teacher for a total of an additional nineteen years in RSD 13. Ms. Viccaro completed a Master's degree at Southern Connecticut State University and has completed her course work for a doctoral degree in educational leadership at the University of Connecticut. During her tenure at RSD 13, she has implemented a full-day kindergarten with no increase in the district budget, created the Middlesex Transition Academy, an innovative program with Wesleyan University, upgraded the systems technology effort, and completed four building projects. She is currently a Board member and area Chairperson of the Connecticut Association of School Superintendents. Ms. Viccaro grew up in Essex, Massachusetts and still has many extended family members in the North Shore area.
April 11, 2013 In-District Visit Schedule
As the School Committee moves forward with the final stages of the search, Search Committee members will be available to help and support you in choosing a high performing leader from this exceptional field of candidates. Thank you again for placing your faith in us to complete this important task
Barry Hopping and Sarah Player, Co-Chairs of the Superintendent Search Committee